This should be a short article. I’m assuming you have vCD 1.5 running on vSphere 5.0 with vShield Manager 5.0.
- vCenter Orchestrator 5.0
- vCenter Server 5.0
- vShield Manager 5.0.x
- ESXi 5.0
- vCloud Director 1.5.x
We want to end up with everything on v5.1.x
- Update Orchestrator to 5.1 – it’s compatible with vCenter 5.0 and 5.1
- Update vShield Manager to 5.0.2. This is important, this version works with both vCenter 5.0 & 5.1 as well as vCD 1.5 and 5.1. Then redeploy your vShield Edge appliances
- Update vCloud Director to 5.1. Be sure to back up your database before upgrading in case you have to roll-back
- Update vCenter Server to 5.1. Install your Single-Sign On Service at this step too.
- Update vShield Manager to vCenter Security & Networking 5.1. Then redeploy your vShield Edge appliances.
- Update VMware Update Manager to 5.1
- Use VUM to upgrade ESXi to 5.1
Note: If you’ve deployed VMware View, you’ll want to upgrade it to v5.1.2 before upgrading vCenter.
One thought on “Order of Operations when Upgrading vCloud Director to 5.1”
Did this actually go smoothly with our favorite customer?
Comments are closed.