I’ve recently had to attempt to describe the ports used in the various connection scenarios used by VMware View and found that a diagram really helped clear things up and have aided in producing accurate firewall rules.
A couple notes about the connections depicted though;
- I only included v5.x. Previous versions behave differently, so use caution if you reference these in an environment where v4.x components are reused.
- I did not depict the connection from the vCenter Server to hosts, LDAP etc. These diagrams are View-centric
- Although the View client may connect to the View Connection Server over HTTP/TCP80, I did not depict it because we strongly prefer the HTTPS, encrypted connection.
- Wyse MMR is not included since it is not supported on Windows 7 Virtual Desktops
- Black arrows indicate TCP connection request and direction
- Green arrows represent UDP traffic flow
Once again, here’s the PDF