VMKB 1009562 has a lot of good information, I’m not going to repeat it here, but it is a great resource for determining what network ports have to be open between what devices when using SRM & vSphere Replication.
Also, this diagram is surprisingly complicated… (reminds me of a dream-catcher)
This should be a short article. I’m assuming you have vCD 1.5 running on vSphere 5.0 with vShield Manager 5.0.
- vCenter Orchestrator 5.0
- vCenter Server 5.0
- vShield Manager 5.0.x
- ESXi 5.0
- vCloud Director 1.5.x
We want to end up with everything on v5.1.x
- Update Orchestrator to 5.1 – it’s compatible with vCenter 5.0 and 5.1
- Update vShield Manager to 5.0.2. This is important, this version works with both vCenter 5.0 & 5.1 as well as vCD 1.5 and 5.1. Then redeploy your vShield Edge appliances
- Update vCloud Director to 5.1. Be sure to back up your database before upgrading in case you have to roll-back
- Update vCenter Server to 5.1. Install your Single-Sign On Service at this step too.
- Update vShield Manager to vCenter Security & Networking 5.1. Then redeploy your vShield Edge appliances.
- Update VMware Update Manager to 5.1
- Use VUM to upgrade ESXi to 5.1
Note: If you’ve deployed VMware View, you’ll want to upgrade it to v5.1.2 before upgrading vCenter.