Just a quick note here about this error. I felt kinda silly once I realized what I’d done.
- Installed a vCenter Server at both sites
- Deployed a vSphere Replication 6.1 appliance at both sites. Connected each to its corresponding PSC and vCenter Server
- Installed Site Recovery Manager 6.1 on each site, registered to corresponding vCenter Server
- Complete mappings and basic configurations in SRM, confirm VR is available at each site
- Attempt to create a protection group
- Receive Error “Unable to create protection group. No VRM registered with vCenter Server …”
- Google frantically
Its not clear from the documentation, but you have to configure at least one VM for replication using vSphere Replication section of Web Client first. Totally counter-intuitive. Just right-click the target VM and select “All vSphere Replication Actions | Configure Replication” and walk through the wizard. Once complete, you can return to the SRM configuration and succesfully set up a Protection Group and subsequent Recovery Plan.